Looking for healthier versions of fried tortilla chips or strips? I think you're going to love this air fryer tortilla strips recipe! These chips are so crispy and are made without a ton of oil. It’s a good recipe that will save you a ton of calories without sacrificing the taste.
This air fryer tortilla strips recipe proves that crispy food doesn't have to be deep-fried.
Crispy Tortilla Strips
The homemade tortillas strips have the perfect crunch yet aren’t greasy. My kids enjoy them as a snack and they make the perfect topping for salad and soups as well.
When cooked at the right temperature these tortilla chips can be done in less than 10 minutes.
The Ingredients for Air Fryer Tortilla Chips:
- Tortillas: You can use flour or corn tortillas. The tortilla is the key ingredient in this recipe, be sure to choose the right product for your tastes. In this recipe, I used flour tortillas.
- Salt: You can use kosher or sea salt.
- Neutral oil: I used a small amount of oil to make sure the seasoning stays while they cook. You can use avocado, canola, or vegetable oil.
- Cooking spray: To add crunch and golden-brown color.
How to Make Crispy Tortilla Chips in an Air Fryer:
1. Prepare tortillas
Slice tortillas into thin strips. Place them in a large bowl, drizzle with oil and add salt. Use your hands to toss them around.
2. Preheat the air fryer and choose the right temperature
Preheat the air fryer for a few minutes or according to your owner's manual. I used my Gourmia air fryer and set the temperature to 325°F.
3. Air Fry
Unlike many other air fryer recipes on my site, you don't need to arrange the strips in a single layer.
The strips are so small and come in a large quantity. If you put them in a single layer it could take hours to finish cooking the batch.
However, to ensure these strips cook evenly, you need to cook them in 2 batches. It's okay if some of the strips are overlapping each other but make sure to shake the basket every 3 minutes.
4. Use cooking spray
Cook the strips for 3 minutes. Open the basket, shake, and lightly spray the tortillas with cooking spray. Continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
5. Check for doneness
Open the basket and check for doneness. If they aren't ready, lightly spray the chips with cooking spray. You can continue cooking and checking every minute or so until you reach the desired crispiness level.
The whole process should take about 9 minutes or less.
FAQ and Tips
Store the leftover in a cool, dark place in tightly closed container. It can last 2-3 days.
If you find your tortilla chips don't brown fast enough, lightly spray with cooking spray and shake the basket.
Air fryers differ from brand to brand and model to model. For that reason, always begin checking your food at the earlier doneness time specified in the recipe and add extra time as necessary.
Check Out More Air Fryer Recipes:
- Air Fryer Frozen Orange Chicken
- How to Cook Frozen Taquitos in an air fryer
- How to Cook Frozen Corn Dogs in an Air Fryer
- Frozen Chicken Nuggets in an Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Frozen Mini Bagel Bites
- Air fryer Frozen Mini Pretzel Dogs
Final thoughts: I think you are going to love this healthy alternative to deep frying.
Don't forget to pin and share this recipe! And if you try it, come back here to give it a star rating! I'd appreciate it!
Air Fryer Tortilla Strips
- an air fryer
- 3 flour tortillas (about 8.5 inch each)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp neutral oil (canola, vegetable, or avocado oil)
- Preheat the air fryer and set the temperature to 325°F.
- Slice tortillas into thin strips. Place them in a large bowl, drizzle with oil and add salt. Use your hands to toss them around.
- Place half of the tortilla strips in a basket, cook for 3 minutes. Open the basket, shake, and lightly spray the tortillas with cooking spray. Continue cooking for another 3 minutes.Check for doneness. If they aren't ready, shake the basket, continue cooking and checking every minute or so until you reach the desired crispiness level.